Here are some of the top headlines from around the world today, August 19, 2023:
- Russia-Ukraine war: US and allies to announce new sanctions on Russia. The United States and its allies are expected to announce new sanctions on Russia today in response to the ongoing war in Ukraine. The sanctions are likely to target Russia’s economy and financial institutions.
- China’s economy slows in the second quarter. China’s economy grew at a slower pace in the second quarter of 2023, as the country grapples with a number of challenges, including the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the war in Ukraine.
- Sri Lanka declares a state of emergency. Sri Lanka has declared a state of emergency as the country faces a severe economic crisis. The government has imposed a curfew in the capital, Colombo, and other major cities.
- Heavy rains cause flooding in India. Heavy rains have caused flooding in parts of India, leaving at least 100 people dead. The rains have also caused widespread damage to property and infrastructure.
- US Supreme Court to hear the case on affirmative action in college admissions. The US Supreme Court will hear a case on affirmative action in college admissions. The case challenges a policy at the University of Texas that considers race as one factor in admissions decisions.
Top headlines from India today, August 19, 2023
- Chandrayaan-3 slows down above Moon, one step away from landing. India’s third lunar mission, Chandrayaan-3, has slowed down and is now in the final phase of its journey to the Moon. The lander is expected to touch down on the lunar surface on Saturday, August 20.
- Unacademy row: Tutor says ‘They may have sacked me due to political pressure’. An Unacademy tutor, who was sacked for appealing to students to vote for educated candidates in the upcoming elections, has said that he believes he was targeted due to political pressure. The tutor, Rahul Ranjan, said that he was called by Unacademy’s management and asked to delete the video. When he refused, he was sacked.
- Rahul Gandhi to contest from Amethi in 2024, claims UP Congress chief. Uttar Pradesh Congress chief Ajay Kumar Lallu has claimed that Rahul Gandhi will contest from Amethi in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections. Gandhi has represented Amethi in the Lok Sabha since 2004. However, he lost the seat to Smriti Irani in the 2019 elections.
- Asia Cup: PCB invites Jay Shah to Pakistan to watch the opening match. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has invited Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Jay Shah to Pakistan to watch the opening match of the Asia Cup. The Asia Cup is scheduled to be held in Pakistan in September 2023.
- Bihar journalist killed, accused knocked on his door, shot him in the chest. A journalist was shot dead in Bihar’s Begusarai district on Friday. The journalist, identified as Rajnish Kumar, was shot in the chest by unidentified assailants. Kumar was working as a reporter for a local news channel.